Holidays and Traditions
We recognize and celebrate many holidays and traditions at the CVUU.
Day of the Dead (October/November)
A celebration for all ages, we gather each year during the Sunday Service to honor those who have gone before us. Each year, we learn a little bit about the sacred traditions of other cultures, while honoring our dead. Bring photographs and/or mementos of your loved ones who have passed.
Treats and Talents Auction (November)
The Treats and Talents Auction is our annual fundraising event where members, friends, and area businesses donate items to be auctioned off during the event. Auction items have ranged from dinners and parties to hand-woven shawls and scarves to fossil-hunting trips, weekend and vacation get-aways, to personal services like an evening of babysitting, putting up the storm windows, or cleaning house gutters. Auction items are only limited by the creativity of the donor, whether they sell for $5 or for $50. Social time typically begins at 6:00 p.m. and the auction runs from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Child care is available. Light refreshments are provided.
Summer Schedule (June – August)
One way we celebrate summer is by having a schedule that is different and more laid back than our regular “church-year” schedule (Sept-May).
- Sunday: We have an informal chapel service at 10am, lead by our lay ministers, worship associates, and other members of the congregation. Refreshments are served following the service. We do not have adult forum or children’s religious education during the summer.
- Wednesday: We do not have scheduled Wednesday evening activities during the summer. However, sometimes the Progressive Parents Group gets together for a picnic in the park or other family-friendly activities.
- Thursday: Our Buddhist Path group meets as usual on Thursday evenings at 7:30 pm.
- Small groups and affinity groups may or may not be happening as usual during the summer months. Please contact the group leader for more information.
Coming soon… additional information about other CVUU holidays and traditions:
- Festival Sundays
- Christmas Eve service
- Easter brunch and pancake breakfast
- And more!